Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Rambo Week

While I'm waiting for these stupid PDFs to load (I honestly wish they never do, then I'll never have to read them), I might as well fill you in on my life.

I decided last weekend my life needed a huge recharge, reboot, reload, overhaul, I don't know you pick the one you like best or come up with your own. I was missing classes, sleeping in, being very unproductive, and physically the only activity I was getting was coasting down the hill to campus on my bike and then laboring to get back up the hill.

I spent too much time being lazy and mediocre. It's time to fix that.

I've implemented a plan that I kind of plagiarized from some guys I knew on the mission. One companionship would sometimes do a "Rambo Week" to get them back on track in all areas of their life. I think they came up with that name, maybe it was just "Hardcore Week." Anyway, they just made sure to be really exact with the rules, always getting up right at 6:30 and going to bed at 10:30. They also exercised every day, and wearing some sort of headband/bandanna was mandatory during said exercise. And then a whole slough of missionary goals and stuff followed. I've altered the "Rambo Week" for my own purposes, but it's pretty similar. Here it is:

  • Get up at 6:30 or earlier every morning and do rigorous exercise and personal scripture study
  • Go to bed at 10:30, no exceptions
  • No worthless leisure activities, i.e. watching movies, TV, playing video/computer games
  • Wear a bandanna 100% of the time
So you ask, am I wearing a bandanna right now? The answer is yes. Do I also have a huge bowie knife with me? No, but I have a pocket-knife in imitation. Have I been living up to Rambo Week's requirements? Yes, to the letter.

Now, am I really justified in calling it "Rambo Week"? I mean, am I as ripped and crazy as Sly Stallone...? And do I have scary flashbacks and do I hide out in the bushes and kill people?



No on all accounts. That whole killing people and hiding in the bushes part would actually be pretty counterproductive, because the idea is to progress and be disciplined. I'm just using "Rambo" as a trope of hardcore awesomeness to motivate me to be a better student, friend, and person.

So. Day three has been in full swing, and it's going until Saturday. Then after a week's rest I'll do it again. At this rate I'll be ready to break my personal best on the Rex Lee Run and kick butt in the Red Rock Relay this fall.

2 comments:

  1. A.W.E.S.O.M.E. i need to do the same. except it's 10:44 pm as I type this so I'll have to start later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you for your efforts, but I'm trying hard not to condemn you for considering movies as a worthless activity. As I recommend to anyone who believes movies to be a vacuous, sub-par activity: get some new movies. Something like Rambo, for instance (but only the first one, because the others suck). Keep the flame alive, Matt.

    ReplyDelete