Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Job Satisfaction

I just want to eventually work a job where I feel like I can do a good job. Just want to work a job where I am good at whatever it is I do.

I hated working at Vivint as tech support/customer service because I never felt like I was really on top of it. People were too volatile for me to always know how to solve their problem. Angry people + unresolved problems = deep dissatisfaction with myself and my job.

I disliked working customer service at The College Board for the same reasons, because although it was a much better job than Vivint, it was still a job where I didn't feel like I was cut out for it. I felt like despite my best efforts I couldn't really do a good job, and I never really felt like I was good at what I did.

Maybe it's that I really don't have ambitions. Maybe I just don't want to be challenged. People say that I probably wouldn't be happy in a job where I'm not challenged. I'm not sure about that. As long as I feel like I'm the man for the job -- and not constantly pestered by impostor syndrome -- I think I'll be happy. And as long as I make enough money to pay for food, modest housing, and transportation expenses. Ugh school and my future, they are the worst.

Sorry for complaining -- just been feeling sorta frustrated lately. Having trouble with school work and procrastinating papers. Just feeling sort of like

.

4 comments:

  1. If it helps at all, I feel the exact same way. You pretty much just explained the way I feel about jobs and life in general. I think we are very similar in that way. I just hold out for the hope that I'll find the right job eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you honestly stated some of the reasons why you're dissatisfied. A lot of other people would pin their dissatisfaction on external factors while failing to see that it might be an outlook problem. I pretty much had the same experience back when I was just starting out too. I had to struggle to find my niche, but when I did, I wasn't disappointed. Just hold on, and always do your best whatever position you find yourself doing. There will come a time you'll be finally satisfied with everything you have, and all it takes is a little bit of patience and a dash of hope!

    Donna @ Epiphany Staffing Group

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the dream: to find a job that you are good at and that you enjoy. Life is always better when you are enjoying the thing you spend most of your time doing. (Also, I completely agree tat working at Vivint was awful. Worst. Experience. Ever.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt. I don't really know you. I randomly came across your blog and started reading it. And the more I read, the more fascinated I was with your words, with your thoughts, with the way you see and experience the world around and with the way you recreate it here.
    I've never commented before but I couldn't help writing something under this post - I must admit, it was the cat! Somehow I remember having the same frustrated face ... especially while doing college work. Anyway, it's been a while since this last post so I'm sure you're having the happy cat face now. Just wanted to say it is a great pleasure reading this blog, I really like it.
    Do you have twitter? Mine's https://twitter.com/carrie6543
    I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete