Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cambridge Chronicles

I am in a weird mood, which when combined with me listening to the Age of Adz could make for something interesting.  And I probably won't even write that much about Cambridge, for all the title I gave this post.

Cambridge has been good to me.  I've branched out in good ways.  I'm doing things that I appreciate to a certain extent now; I'll probably feel much more nostalgic about them later.  I've been introduced to many, many new possibilities, opportunities, and uncovered potential within myself that had been buried.  I won't go into what it was was buried under. ;)  Sorry for that emoticon.  I kind of embarrass myself from time to time doing things like that.  Oh well.

Since I've been here I've been a fairly good student.  I've done grown-up stuff, like real original research.  It's been fun, and it's been liberating.  I've met some really great people.  I miss my family.  I especially miss this little nephew guy and his parents (who have been very good to me) right now:



I haven't written on this blog much since I've been in Cambridge.  Not for lack of time, to be honest.  Especially during the first month.  I actually had a lot of time on my hands.  But 2011 has been, so far, one of the best I've had in a while.  I had a rough start, I'll admit.  January and February weren't great.  March and April were meh.  Starting in May, though, things have been quite good.  

I've been: happier, busier, more hardworking, more diligent, more focused, more upbeat, more optimistic, livelier, kinder, healthier, more active, more wholesome, and more edified.  

I camped for four days in June, during which I learned how to throw knives, spent time with my mom and dad, read, hiked, warmed myself by a fire, used a compass, slept warm and dry in a tent while it was raining outside (I highly recommend that one), and ran around a dark forest in the Cascades in the middle of the night, while also doing bridge maintenance in a river in said dark forest between 1-4 o'clock AM.

Since my life started improving in May I have:


  • hiked
  • made lots of new friends
  • become better friends with old friends
  • walked
  • biked
  • picked fruit off trees and eaten it
  • swum
  • conversed
  • eaten
  • studied
  • thought critically
  • danced in Edinburgh
  • heard voices I haven't heard in a long time
  • written
  • pondered
  • chatted
  • run/jogged 
  • corresponded
  • prayed 
  • read 
  • flown 
  • landed
  • bused
  • trained
  • played my tin flute
  • eaten scones with clotted cream
  • been stung by a bee on my leg
  • been stung by a hornet on my finger
  • stood on summits
  • sung
  • stood in the ocean 
  • loved
  • and hopefully been loved as well.

Life can treat you pretty well sometimes, if you put in the effort.

2 comments:

  1. I love everything about this, including the fact that age of adz was involved. and that you are happy and well and great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you certainly have been loved! i love this blog post too. you are the man.

    ReplyDelete