Well it's not quite over yet, but it feels like it is. It is certainly winding down. I'll start with a recap of outdoorsy things done that I am proud of/enjoyed very much:
- Hiking Buckley Mountain w/Jeff
- Lost Coast backpacking trip w/Marshall and Bentley (see here for Marshall's pics)
- Hiking Cascade Mountain w/Jeff
- Hiking Lost Creek Canyon with peeps
- Hiking Slide Canyon (in Provo Canyon) w/Jeff
The rest of my summer has included a couple temp jobs with Manpower, job/internship applications, reading the news in English and Russian, translating stuff into Bulgarian, and various other things to keep me occupied.
I haven't blogged much because a) I felt like there was a lot to blog about in terms of adventures, and that always intimidates me into not blogging; b) I haven't had much success with the job hunting and have nothing to report; and c) as I sit down to blog most of what I feel inclined to write about is me being frustrated and in kind of a difficult state of transition.
I will say this: I've been really happy here, but I think that moving to DC, while sad and difficult and trying, will be for my eventual good. There are wonderful people here, but I guess I need to think about adopting a new lifestyle, different from the easily sustainable but not very demanding one that I'm currently living.
I'll admit, there are a lot of things that I love about where I live. I'm not one to trash-talk Utah. I love it here for a lot of reasons. I even love Campus Plaza. It has a practical simplicity that seems to attract good people and fun, outgoing exuberance. Sometimes the rowdiness bothers me, and at other times I'm happy to be able to appreciate the spontaneity and joie de vivre that it really represents. And yes, I just used a French phrase--hope that doesn't surprise some of you. I guess that's kind of what I'm afraid of losing-- spontaneity and joie de vivre. I feel like I'm losing adventure and nature, too. Utah's mountains have been such an incredible outlet for me in the times that I've really needed to get away and live outside of a sometimes doggedly prosaic world.
I don't look forward to moving to a land of vast urban sprawl, without the interconnectedness of a European city. I suppose DC has the metro... and I suppose I am judging much too harshly for one who's only visited a few times. I'm also a little reluctant to enter a new social atmosphere-- one in which it seems my peers' primary goals are to get further ahead, make more money, gain a more advantageous position, move higher in politics, prove one's prowess and advantage, and satisfy ambition. I have enjoyed living simply, with people who are satisfied with and find happiness in what they currently have. I hope that when I move to DC and find a job, that I'll be able to be myself, to not fall into insincere self-selling and bravado. That if I don't know something or feel inadequate, I can express humility and ask to be taught and be given the chance to learn. Maybe I'm once again not giving the DC area the benefit of the doubt, but I have a hard time shaking the feeling.
Hopefully, I'll make the move and prove myself wrong, and I'll remember Provo fondly, but not wistfully.
I don't look forward to moving to a land of vast urban sprawl, without the interconnectedness of a European city. I suppose DC has the metro... and I suppose I am judging much too harshly for one who's only visited a few times. I'm also a little reluctant to enter a new social atmosphere-- one in which it seems my peers' primary goals are to get further ahead, make more money, gain a more advantageous position, move higher in politics, prove one's prowess and advantage, and satisfy ambition. I have enjoyed living simply, with people who are satisfied with and find happiness in what they currently have. I hope that when I move to DC and find a job, that I'll be able to be myself, to not fall into insincere self-selling and bravado. That if I don't know something or feel inadequate, I can express humility and ask to be taught and be given the chance to learn. Maybe I'm once again not giving the DC area the benefit of the doubt, but I have a hard time shaking the feeling.
Hopefully, I'll make the move and prove myself wrong, and I'll remember Provo fondly, but not wistfully.
We will definitely miss you here in P-town. But think what an exciting adventure awaits you! And you get to be with Michelle, Ann Marie, Josh, and little Jack, and even Sarah occasionally!
ReplyDeleteDear Matt! You will fall in love with Virginia. It is a land of old and gentle hills, lush greenery, mighty rivers, and historic architecture. And you will find that the people are also very kind and well read. You will do wonderful things wherever you go! (I miss Utah too though - I wish I could just bask at the Cabin all summer...)
ReplyDeleteAll that, plus Civil War reenactments and fried chicken! How could you not come to love a place like that?
DeleteBut seriously, Virginia is a stunningly beautiful commonwealth once you get past all that "vast urban sprawl"--and even there, I have no trouble finding plenty of beautiful spots. Give it a chance.
P.S. Joie de vivre, huh?
Matty I think you will be happy here. The traffic is shocking but there are so many good things. Inspiring history, inspiring people, diversity, and lots of natural beauty. Moving from somewhere you love can be the hardest thing in the world, but good things await (think of Ann Marie's move from idyllic PA to VA- very rough at first, but then, voila!). And VA could merely be a stepping stone... who knows what's down the road?
ReplyDeleteMatt: Dad and I moved around a lot in our early marriage, and each time it was hard to leave the familiar and well loved, but I knew there was something to be learned and appreciated with each new location. Moves are very enriching. Don't look for what you will lose, but for what you will gain.
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous. Virginia is amazing. Everyone has already mentioned a bunch of wonderful things about it, but I'll say this: Even after living in Idaho for six years, Viriginia will always be my home. I can't even say I'm from Idaho because of that. You'll love it
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement, everybody. I really appreciate it.
DeleteOh my goodness, you sure have lived the life in good ol' P-town! I'm glad we PKPeeps will still (hopefully) get to catch you one last time before you leave. We'll miss you fo sho, but I'm excited to read all about your adventures in DC!
ReplyDeleteDepending on when I leave, I may have the time to just say goodbye to everybody. :)
Delete