It's a sure thing.
I'm pretty dang excited. A Russian guy named Alexander Abashkin came in to talk to the few of us in the study abroad about the program. It'll be at the Academy of National Economy in Moscow. That's this place:

Language learning=tons of fun. How can I explain it? It's like playing a game. Except it's a gnarly game with difficult rules that you have to learn all the intricacies of and so forth. Then all of a sudden you can communicate with 200 million more people than you could before. Pretty cool, huh?
Hey guess what? I went to see this band called Red and the Rovers Saturday night. Their front-man is named Chris Bennion. He is talented and is destined to be famous. Remember that name. All of you. Chris Bennion.
On Sunday I spent a lot of time reading and finishing a book called A Life of Her Own by Emilie Carles. This book:
The author was a French peasant-turned-school teacher who lived for most of her life in the Alps--the book's her autobiography. Funny thing is that never once did I question whether or not she was somebody worth reading about, or whether I cared learning about her life. She was born in 1900 and lost loved ones as a result of both world wars. Even more interesting, however, was her dedication to education. She also ended up becoming a die-hard atheist and anarchist.
I learned a little thing about anarchists, though. Not all of them spray-paint those sloppy A's in the middle of a circle and just riot their way into recognition. Some of them, like this lady Emilie Carles, just think that life doesn't need to be governed by anybody else. She just lived in her beautiful, isolated valley and scratched at the dirt with her own hands and appreciated the simplicity of that rustic world. Was she ignorant or naive? No. Far from it. She came to her ideas through her reading and education--and through her experience with crazy peasants, alcoholism, the insanity of both world wars, and dealing with the seemingly senseless deaths of her mother, her brothers and sisters, and a daughter.
It's a really good book. I understand a lot better now why a lot of Europeans couldn't care less about religion and so forth, 'cuz I understand the road that Emilie Carles took to reach that way of thinking. Read it if you want. I would back it up.
Oh yeah, and formalist interpretation of poetry is cool for about ten seconds, until you finish saying what the rhythm and rhyme scheme is and so forth. Then it just gets restricting.
Sorry that this blog post was not very coherent. You can't win 'em all.
Fictionist this Friday at the Velour. You want to be there.
how would you feel about trading brains? just for one day? (and after that day...ok maybe it would take longer--I get to retain language acquisition).
ReplyDeletethen we could switch back.
Matt, I love reading your blog. I'm glad you told us you have one.
ReplyDeleteI DO want to be there! And I'm glad you're going to Moscow yay!
ReplyDeleteHEY GUESS WHAT YOU ARE GREAT YEY.
hey katie you know/speak french pretty well, so don't jump to any conclusions about my language acquisition vs. yours. (your pronunciation of french is certainly far superior to my own)
ReplyDeletecoherence is overrated. congrats on the study abroad.
ReplyDeleteAnarchism=a pretty tempting philosophy to adhere to, especially when you look at European history too hard. When I went to Spain and studied their civil war and whatnot I was a staunch anarcho-communist for the next 6 months at least :)
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of anarchy. That is a mormon philosophy anyway, along with communism (though people suck and we can't really practice it). We don't need to be governed. We just need to be educated and then we'll take care of ourselves. But alas, we are not all well educated. I like your bloggy blog, matt.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Chris Bennion is amazing. and so is Red and the Rovers.
Dude, I've read that book too--Mark Choate's class? I loved it. I also loved Survival in Auschwitz (what book about something that wouldn't be intense just because of the material?), and the movies All Quiet on the Western Front and Au Revoir Les Enfants. It's so powerful experiencing those art-ifacts in context of world/European history.
ReplyDeleteCool man!! Russia is a green light, huh? Is that spring term or summer? We'll miss ya, mate. I'm looking for that PS comment now... cheahs.
and go communism! (j/k--I just went to a Jewish Kibbutz and felt like I was Jonas and ran away because I didn't want to be the Giver anymore.)