Wednesday, November 10, 2010

i hate my research topic, help

This isn't supposed to happen like right before you need to be finished annotated bibliography and other stuff, like the first ten pages of your research paper. But I really, really am hating my research topic right now. It absolutely sucks. I came up with it, and I did a really bad job coming up with it because it's worthless. And if I was able to stress out a little less about school and grades, maybe I'd be able to deal with it and make it work somehow. But I can't, at least not right now. Not like, right now, as in this very moment when time is totally of the essence (whatever that expression is supposed to mean).

It has to do with how Mormons should maybe identify more with Catholicism during the Reformation than they do with Luther. I mean, yeah, Luther did the thing where he stood up for his own conscience, which he thought was right, and that's why Mormons think he's the man, because he opened up the possibility of religious tolerance. But on a purely theological basis, his conscience was wrong on a lot of points. No, I'm not talking about indulgences, because no matter who you are indulgences are just a little bit or a lot bit ridiculous. I'm talking about Luther's On the Bondage of the Human Will and how much he thinks works and ordinances are kinda just for fun and aren't actually essential, and finally how he thinks that hierarchy and priesthood authority isn't really all that important, and how you just kind of get authority by some sort of heavenly endowment.

See, both the Mormon Church and the Catholic Church would agree with each other that Luther was out of line on those points. But I guess I'm going to try to show in the paper that often Mormons gloss over Luther's serious doctrinal errors (according to the Mormon framework, everyone, let me remind you that I am looking at this situation from a Mormon doctrinal framework) in order to show how much of a hero he was and a Forerunner of the Restoration.

Main issue: how do I turn this little thought process into a really really long research paper. Help.

Criticism from readers? Probably a lot. Oh well. I'm just going to have to barrel through a paper and hope my professor likes it. Because let's be honest, that's really what matters here.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, Matt, I recommend just talking about lynching photography instead (teachers love it, and the research always leaves you feeling good about people). Never mind.

    First I'll say don't stress so much (lame to say, I know; but at this moment I'm procrastinating cramming for the GRE, which I take tomorrow). Your situation might look grim now, and the bibliography might appear flimsy, but my experience shows that to be fairly normal. Getting started is the worst/hardest part, and some topics are way harder than others to work through. You might have to revise your thesis a bit as you go, but i think you have some good points to work with.

    Mormonism is interesting to me, because it's such a revisionist religion. It's the ultimate post-modern religion, which means you can link it to a whole lotta other religions very convincingly, which is what connects and separates us from other religions.

    I'm no pro at Catholic and Lutheran theology, but I have some thoughts that are hopefully worth something, though they probably don't help you with your paper. Still, consider it an opportunity to generate more thought.

    Luther had his flaws and on some doctrinal points he deviates from Mormons, but he connects in other ways, which are cool. This is true of Catholicism too, especially as you pointed out, in terms of priesthood authority. I'd work this point pretty hard. The doctrine of grace and works is a good one to examine too. I'm also thinking about church buildings, which doesn't sound like such a doctrinal thing, but when you think about what Catholic cathedrals are supposed to symbolize, it doesn't seem that far removed from what the temple is supposed to symbolize. I know there are Lutheran cathedrals too, so maybe this doesn't help you align us with Catholics, but it's something to think about.

    I could keep rambling and never help you. Basically, I see both religions as being full of things Mormonism connects with. To align ourselves more with one than another doesn't seem quite as useful as seeing how we are indebted to both for a whole lotta things. There are specific parts of both that are important and I think Mormonism brings many of those parts together.

    I think I'm done now. Sorry to go on so long and say so little. The most important thing I can maybe say is don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I just get frustrated easily, Jon. Although what you said in your comment was basically what I'm afraid of-- people, my professor included, being able to pick out all sorts of holes and problems with what I'm gonna talk about. Really, the main mistake here was just deciding to take this class (Writing about Religion). All I can do now is just try not to shoot myself too hard in the foot... if that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, I didn't wanna deepen the anxiety, or just blow holes in your argument.

    I think you can acknowledge Luther's valuable contributions, while emphasizing that we shouldn't do that at the neglect or rejection of Catholic doctrines that remain important to Mormon theology. Nor should we overlook Luther's flaws.

    You could also point out that anti-Catholic sentiment within the LDS church is, in part, the product of its early membership being predominantly of religions that broke from the Catholic church. Our bias against Catholics seems to be as much a cultural phenomenon as a doctrinal one.

    Basically, my recommendation is to not discard Lutherans for Catholics, but persuade readers to have a more balanced view of the two faiths in relation to our own. Now I'll stop telling you how to write your paper and wish you Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete