Thursday, December 1, 2011

Trivial Pursuits

Thanksgiving happened recently.  My fam, comprising (this time around) me, my brother, his wife, their baby, my little sister, and my parents, sat around that night.  My dad or probably my mom decided it would be good for each of us to say something in regards to what we're thankful for on this occasion.  Although I feel like I really could have talked about Jeff, Kira, and Emily (my bro and his wife and my little sis) and all they've done to make living in Provo better and bearable, I didn't... I chose instead to talk about my education.  I guess it's been on my mind recently, since I'm pretty much done with it.  At least with ye olde undergrad.

What I mostly admitted to, is that although sometimes I get these weird feelings toward my education-- like it's wronged me or cheated me somehow, like a college education would somehow be more fulfilling and prepare me more for life and all of its complexities-- I still know that it's changed me for the better.  Take my studies abroad, for example.  I guess my summer in Russia was fairly practical and measurable.  I could barely speak Russian when I arrived, and when I left I was an almost fully-functioning social person in Russian.  But with my England trips 1.0 and 2.0 (i.e. England Literature in 2009 and Cambridge in 2011) it's a little more difficult to pin down what I learned, or rather what I got out of them.  What I took home, what qualitative, practical skill I learned.  All I know is that experientially (yes that's a word, I checked) I learned something, and I know-- don't ask me how I know-- I just know that it was worthwhile and has affected me for good.  Practically and quantitatively, I don't know what I could show you to prove that.  I mean, I'm still just a student, I have very little money, I work as a janitor, my prospects for 2012 include mostly dead-end non-career jobs, I'm not a world-class writer, I'm not enrolled at Cambridge for grad school, I'm not a superb Russian speaker, and so on.  But in some very important, and very special way, I benefited from it all.  I just know that.

I wish I could say I came back from England 1.0 as a better writer.  Maybe I did.  I wish I could say I came back from England 2.0 as a better researcher and better prepared for the next big step in life.  Maybe I did.  I know that I can answer a few more Trivial Pursuit questions correctly now that I'm almost done with my European Studies major.  I don't know how that will get me get a job or make enough money to support a family, but who cares right now.  All I know is that Trivial Pursuit is fun, and it's fun because I know the answers to some of the questions.  Getting a good score back on my Geography of Europe quiz is fun.  I don't know why that's important or special, but I feel like it is.  You reach a point where practicality/functionality has to be disregarded in the hope that education/enlightenment/adventure is simply good for education/enlightenment/adventure's sake.  I believe that it is.

3 comments:

  1. The glory of God is intelligence, and when we come closer to Him in any way, it's enlightening. I learned from my four years in college the value of enduring to the end. Hang in there Matty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt, good job writing last night :)
    If you really want something measurable to look at from your study abroads, you can look at your greater familiarity with the world. You have broadened yourself. That's why it's called study abroad :)

    ReplyDelete