Thursday, February 16, 2012

Days off

So at my new work, I don't have a set schedule of off-days.  It's kind of hard.  You'd think that you need two days in a row to feel rejuvenated.  But this week I had today off, tomorrow is a work-day, and then I have Saturday off, and early Sunday morning I'm back at work.  All the same, it's possible to feel somewhat rejuvenated after one 24 hour period.  Here's how you do it:

You get off work at 1:30 on Wednesday, and you see that a friend invites you to go watch MST3K.  So you plan on doing that, and go to the gym, where you do some pull-ups, try to swim for 20 minutes, chill in the sauna for a bit, and use some of the weight-lifting machines.  Then you eat some delicious food (quiche) and then you go over to said friend's house to watch MST3K.  On the way there you listen to Good Morning Maxfield, steer with your knees and play the penny whistle and jam along to Good Morning Maxfield.  Then you watch MST3K with some of the best people around and laugh really hard.  Then you go home and go to bed at midnight, feeling exhausted.  Then you sleep in till 10.  Then you get up and sit around.  Then you do the dishes.  Then later you go on a run in the foothills above Orem and below Timpanogos and come home and do "Strength-Building Yoga".  Then you eat a delicious dinner, tortellini and caprese salad.  Play with your nephew a bit.  Finish writing a letter to your friend serving a mission in England, and mail it.  Then go shopping for odds and ends and snacks and a sugar doughnut.  Eat the doughnut, come home, do your best to read scriptures, and then you will feel ready to take on the next day of work, especially knowing that you have the next day off, and that you get paid tomorrow.

All of that=somewhat rejuvenated, enough rejuvenated so that you're ready to go to work, where you will take calls and worry about sounding chipper enough, and you will read Anna Karenina between calls, which makes you happy even at work.

And with all of that in mind, I can now go to bed.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah brother I like the pull-ups!! This sounds like pretty much a perfect day and a half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am probably more happy than I need to be that I am part of that process :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fitness that is interwoven in your routine. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice diversions for your day off, Matt. So you're doing yoga as well as everything else? A man of many talents. Sugar donuts still find a place of high priority, as they did back in our Rickmansworth days. I remember strolling you down to the high street to indulge in the excellent baked goods there. Good times for sure! Love you!

    ReplyDelete