I luv this song and the dude who sings it. I love the holiday and the feeling of mystery it brings. I love the folksy lore of Christmas. The mystery of how God became a human to dwell with us humans for a short while. A holy baby destined for greatness. The great Hero of the Earth come to save us all from ourselves. His journey began in a stable. We put trees inside our houses and cover them with lights, baubles, and angels to mark the coming of a cold wintry season, which we have made holy to commemorate the birth of the Hero of the Earth. I love that we have conflated so many wondrous things to make one great collection of tradition, lore, magic, and holiness. I love that Saint Nicholas moved from Anatolia to the North Pole, where he lives wrapped in mystery and cold northern beauty. I love the north. We wrap up our gifts for one another, keeping them secret until the day of awesome revelation: December 25.
Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice!
A new star was born for the Hero of the Earth!
Merry, merry, merry Christmas. I love this holiday and I love all of you. Watch The Snowman if at all possible this Christmas day for me. It is my absolute favorite, and if you're at all anglophile or if you love Christmas, you should also love it. "The whole world seemed to be held in a dreamlike stillness."
Merry Christmas!
--m. mcdonald
I love all of these things too! Somehow you captured it all in the fuzziest, most heartwarming of ways. Hope you had a wonderful, wonderful Christmas, Matt!
ReplyDeleteSame to you Emily! Hope your Christmas was the best!
DeleteA joyful and magical post - thanks Matt!
ReplyDeleteSo happy! There are very few things that are happier than Christmas to me. I love it so so so so much! Thanks for your wonderful post on this most wonderful of holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (since it is now actually New Year's Eve)!
ReplyDelete