Sunday, January 26, 2014

Random update + some Sufjan at the end

Sometimes I read other people's blogs and am like, dang that is fun that they shared that, or that just really good writing. And then I feel like wanting to write something of my own, and post it here.

Truth is, I've never been a prolific writer. I have to have an idea in me that really needs to get out to have the strength to write something substantive. My stew of ideas is almost always on simmer, it's rare for the heat to be up enough for it to boil over into actual productivity.

This is not an advantage. I'm overly prone to inertia, so that leads to most of my ideas never gaining real momentum. So I think about stuff, but the writing doesn't happen.

Strange that while I've been in school these past five or six months, I've been doing so much thinking and writing, yet very little here. But then again, this blog isn't really all that important. I'm self-aware enough to know that it is mostly for the benefit of my family members, a few friends nice enough to keep reading, and well me of course. Whatever it is doing for my benefit. The point is, I've had my mind busy enough just trying to swim with the current of readings, papers, internship applications, and the good old "news", i.e. current events that I haven't had the time for narcissistic self-propaganda. Cuz that's what this blog is! Is that what this blog is? Dang it.

Btw I am now doing my first internship of my life. Unpaid, of course. It is with the gov't commission with the longest name ever, the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom. I help out the senior policy analyst for Russia and Central Asia, and together we analyze policy that looks sketchy. I also translate articles from Russian into English for a couple of Russian news outlets, which I will sheepishly admit is gratifying, because it means that me studying Russian for several years at BYU has now had at least one practical consequence. You can see a few of them here, herehere and here. The last one is my favorite. For some reason they chopped up my translation as well so the first sentence isn't even complete -- no subject to be found whatsoever! Oh well. Just have to use context clues to figure out who the story is about, I guess.

that is the update. the sufjan song that I quite enjoy from time to time, described in his own words: repetitive lo-fi pop demo I found under my desk...goes nowhere

kinda like me, repetitive, lo-fi... goes nowhere


2 comments:

  1. It's nice to hear some more details about your internship. Awesome translations, Matt. Don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of my blog as my journal, which means writing on it is kind of a commandment. Haha. Also, congrats on the internship. It sounds pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete