Sunday, January 10, 2010

first week of school.

I'm on my way to an epic fail in my European History since 1914 class, because I've already missed fifty percent of the classes. Yes, I slept in and missed all but about ten minutes of the hour and fifteen minute long class. The problem is that it starts at 8 AM. I have issues with classes that start before 11. Yeah, even my 10 o'clock classes suffer. I was fifteen minutes late to my literary criticism class on Friday.

I really like my other two classes, though. Russian is always fun, and Eastern European politics are turning out to be very fascinating. But even more fun than those other classes was Sherlock Holmes, and (surprisingly), Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs.

I have never read any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels about Sherlock Holmes. Therefore, when I went to see Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law pretend to be Sherlock Holmes and Watson, I just enjoyed myself thoroughly instead of shifting around nervously because the movie didn't portray it just the way that I thought they should. The previews make the movie look like some sort of sketchy action thriller. While there are elements of sketch, action, and thrill throughout the movie, I would say that none of those three things are over-represented in the film. As for the fighting, yes, I like it and suppose that it caters pretty well to my post-modern desire to see bad guys get beat up in movies. At any rate it was a mystery and it gets solved.


Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs (I think that's what it's called)was surprisingly hilarious. Some parts were admittedly a little juvenile and for a younger audience than my humble self, but still. The dad's unibrow and "fishing metaphors", the Mr. T-esque cop (oh no wonder, look it's Mr. T right now, doing his voice) with the Popeye forearms, the little monkey, and mostly just the ending that spoofed Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow and War of the Worlds all worked together to crack me up. And did I mention that the movie is incredibly random? Seriously. Totally random. My favorite kind of humor, most of the time.

Well I guess week two of the semester is about to start. I hope I can actually attend all of my classes this week. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. LOVED sherlock holmes! and i like the new title of the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed, sherlock was enjoyable.

    and have you learned nothing from college thus far? 8am classes are a lost cause...as your european history class may be...

    anything with Mr. T is funny. I laughed at the picture of him, and I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, that was nice of you to comment on my blog. I don't know anything about it and sometimes feel like I'm just obliging people with torrential posts. I don't mean to. You'll have to learn me how. Maybe I'll meditate under that column-carried dome at the beginning of your site: "Read me." I love it.

    And who do you have for History 307? I had Mark Choate. I'm sure you have a heinous schedule (are you still thinking of doing spr/sum to alleviate the burden?), but I actually really loved that class. Maybe just because I actually worked in it.

    This probably isn't the correct forum for placing such lengthy queries and comments though now, is it?

    Only love,

    Bentley

    Hgha-ra-sho to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete