But I decided yesterday to make the most of 2009. I woke up early (9:10 AM, get offa me) and played ultimate frisbee. The weather was like this:

It was overcast and the grass we were playing in was wet, muddy, and springy. I of course did not have cleats. I also happened to be playing with people who were competitive and did the counting and all that annoying stuff when they guard you. And there was a loudmouth on my team who felt like he was team captain and thought that it was okay to yell directions at everybody and tell everyone what to do. I still had fun. I just like running around, mostly.
Almost as soon as I got home from frisbee, I grabbed my skis and drove up to this wonderful place:

Stevens Pass. I love it. But I forgot my ski goggles. That was the dumbest thing I could have possibly done because it was SNOWING pretty hard up there, and the WIND was blowing the SNOW into my FACE, especially when I went really fast downhill. So I gave up after two runs and tried to rent some ski goggles. But they don't rent out ski goggles. You have to buy them for like 30 bucks. And since that is not worth it in ANY way, I went back out on the mountain and skied another run. But then I saw some dude with just normal sunglasses on, and I remembered that my mom always carries some gnarly Ambervision sunglasses in her van, which I drove up to the pass. So I skied back to the car and rooted around for awhile until I found these babies:

See even those cool people in the little bubble with the skis are wearing the Ambervision. So I slapped on the Ambervision and nothing could stop me. I only skied for another couple of hours though. I am out of shape, therefore the football/frisbee games that I have played recently already made my legs tired, and if you ski/snowboard, you may know what I'm talking about when I say that my leg muscles were BURNING during the last five or six runs that did. They were already weak and skiing just tore them up. 'tsall good, though. This was just a primer for a great season of skiing in UTAH, where there actually is snow instead of a little snow and plenty of ice. I really do love you, Stevens Pass, but admit it you're a little icy. I don't like it when my skis scrape over ice. But still, I love it there because it looks like this:

Just when I had thoroughly tired myself out with frisbee, skiing, and driving two hours home from the pass in a very warm car, it was time to party. That's right, it was party time in the Emerald City. So, a pretty much fool-proof formula for having a great time on New Year's Eve includes:
1. Driving down to Seattle in a 15-passenger van filled to the max
2. Dancing up a storm at Seattle Center's exhibition hall (even though it was pretty much a glorified Mormon stake youth dance; they seriously need to learn how to turn off the lights.)
3. Dancing to that one "tonight's gonna be a good night" black-eyed peas song outside in the rain under the Space Needle waiting for the count-down
4. A truly awesome fire-works show exploding out of the Space Needle from all angles
5. Dick's Drive-In on the way home. Deluxe, fries, and vanilla shake baby.

It was a good night. Thanks, Seattle. You win.
Matt, that sounds pretty rockin. I spent my last day of the year skiing too, and the goggles I was wearing were my brother's, and they were broken, so...I caved in and bought some new ones :( Fail! And truly it was freaking cold and snowing like a crazy person down here, so I'm glad you too found some sunglasses. Happy 2010!
ReplyDeletei am glad that you basically just like running around and catching frisbees. i try so hard to not hate those bossy people who count and call fouls and things...
ReplyDeleteand i am so glad that oregon smells better than provo as well...oh how i love the northwest :)
i've been skiing once and i thought i would die it was so hard. i think i only went on like three runs, maybe four and i was exhausted.
ReplyDeletethose sunglasses are beautiful.
seattle sounds like so much fun!