Tuesday, March 2, 2010

not too bad. but it still makes me mad.

I suppose I've had better days, or periods of my life than the one I find myself in right now. For some reason my boss at work today seemed like he was outdoing his already considerable OCD-ness in making me work past when I was supposed to clock out so I could finish scrubbing his dang door mats. I don't know why this made me mad, but I was already in a weird mood due to quite a bit of repressed anxiety concerning a small tsunami of school work/midterms that is about to crash down on me.

I won't bore you with a list of what school work I need to do... or maybe I will...

1. In-class and take-home midterm due Wednesday for that dang literary theory class

2. A really scary take-home midterm for Politics of Eastern Europe that's due on Friday that I will inevitably procrastinate, because I have no idea how to even approach it

3. A small essay in Russian about natural disasters (what the?) due Wednesday.

4. A Benefit Concert for Bulgarian Orphans on Friday??????

Oh yeah that benefit concert. For some reason it has been the number one source of stress in my life. Why? Because no one wants to give us money, and I was supposed to be responsible for finding sponsors. Each company/business I contacted rejected me; therefore, I fail. I fail doubly because I only contacted the following places:

  • J-Dawg's--put me off repeatedly until I gave up out of sheer fatigue
  • Tucanos--had me calling them back so often I was annoyed at myself, but never came up with an answer
  • Nu Skin--told me no.
  • APX--chose to ignore me repeatedly.
  • Chase--told me no.
  • and then another place I can't remember anymore.

See I probably could have tried harder and contacted more places... and that also makes me feel guilty. But I did end up delegating responsibility to other people, who also got wide-spread dissing. But still, I definitely feel like a failure and it's no fun. And all the while the concert is getting closer and closer.

So anyway that was all a big aside. As I was driving home from work today, I got rear-ended. Not my fault at all. I just slowed down and stopped behind the dude in front of me because the light turned red. But the person behind me-- a girl driving a green, ghetto, van-ish type vehicle-- did not stop. Or she did, just a little too late to avoid contact. I was pretty sure she wasn't slowing down fast enough. I even started inching towards the car in front of me to give her more of a cushion. This attempt, as you might have guessed, was in vain and she slammed into me. I watched her and the scrawny teenagery kid in the passenger seat flail forward upon impact.

There's almost nothing more inconvenient than a car accident. You just talk to the person, the guilty party expresses extreme frustration and sorrow, and then you just assess the damage and figure out how to fix the mess. That's basically the way it's gone down in my past experience of getting rear-ended.

When the light changed, I turned off of University Ave to one of the cross streets and pulled over. I expected what's her bucket to follow... that's normally what responsible, moral, ethical people do... but glancing in my rear-view I saw that ghetto van speed by. She just zoomed on by. I sat there, and hoped that she was just gonna turn around. But no. A couple of passers-by who saw the whole thing saw me waiting and shouted, "You know that car that hit you didn't turn around, right?"

So yeah. Hit and run. Look guys, I really wasn't that upset about the fender-bender. I was already planning on being magnanimous and trying to make her feel at ease, it was just a mistake, don't worry about it, let's just fix it. But no. She just drove away-- breaking the law as well as sacrificing her integrity-- and left me out to dry. That's what made me so angry. It didn't help me that just about everyone I told about this told me that I should have gotten their license plate number. I was already pissed off, thanks for making me feel like an gullible idiot for expecting a person to follow up on their mistake.

Anyway. Sorry. I've been indulging in a bad mood for the evening. It is Casimir Pulaski Day. Which makes me realize that I actually wanted to write today's blog mostly about Sufjan Stevens-- but I will have to save that one for later.

So. Basically, my life right now is like the damage done to my car. It's not really that bad at all-- to claim that it's in serious trouble would be extremely melodramatic-- but it still makes me mad.


1 comment:

  1. Well, why didn't you get the license plate number, dummy?

    Thanks to all your hard work I think we did all we could do to try to round up sponsors. Apparently it just wasn't meant to be. Whatever the heck that means.

    We'll get 'em next time.

    ReplyDelete